The checklist “Briefing Image Film” is aimed at companies and clients. Because only with a professional video briefing can a video production meet the expectations of the customer.
The “Briefing Image Film” lays the foundation for success. It formulates the task definition, defines deadlines and both content and technical parameters. The following list is intended as a guideline and orientation value from the practice of true professionals. Depending on the type and goal of the image film, adjustments obligatory are necessary.
You have to know that
- For image films, the correct and comprehensive formulation of the initial situation in the form of a tried and tested checklist is an important basis for the successful cooperation of all parties involved.
- Only with the right briefing for an image film is the production of a high-impact image video efficiently possible.
- In the same way, this is the only way to achieve pre-defined communication goals without detours and errors.
- Clearly formulated expectations, interfaces communicated at the beginning of the project and jointly defined milestones are a guarantee of success in the project business.
Briefing image film: three steps to success
The sample checklist for companies for an image film briefing for the create image film comprises three checklists:
- Key data, which are important for a film and the film costs are important
- necessary points for the development of a film concept
- Criteria for selecting a film production or video production
Depending on the task and the size of the film project, it makes sense to adapt and extend the lists for the briefing of an image film.
A. Checklist for obtaining a film offer
Part A of the film checklist for an image film briefing includes the naming of the most important key data, ensuring communication, mentioning deadlines, contact persons and the technical framework conditions.
|No.||Key data and points that must be answered in the briefing image film||Status|
|1.1||Non-disclosure necessary/sensible? (yes/no)||✔|
|1.2||contact person and contact details listed?||✔|
|1.3||Composition of project team customer side mentioned?||✔|
|1.4||Duration of internal decision processes for release processes?||✔|
|1.5||Check whether briefing for the image film has arrived||✔|
|1.6||Is it necessary to provide additional/new information to understand the image film briefing?||✔|
|2.1||By when do I have to submit an offer?||✔|
|2.2||Components of the offer defined (film sketch budget etc.)?||✔|
|2.3||How do I submit an offer? (e-mail upload etc.)||✔|
|2.4||To whom is the offer to be delivered?||✔|
|2.5||Minimum/maximum scope of the offer defined?||✔|
|2.6||reference films (or negative examples) mentioned?||✔|
|2.7||is the distribution channel named?||✔|
|3.1||Quality requirements and desired effect defined in the image film briefing?||✔|
|3.2||Film length(s) mentioned (indicative/preset/open)?||✔|
|3.3||Technical final quality/delivery format listed?||✔|
|3.4||Are the locations, duration and media specified?||✔|
|3.5||Exclusivity for performers (yes/no)?||✔|
|3.6||Mandatory locations? (manufacturing plants or similar)||✔|
|3.7||VIP’s that have to be integrated into processes? (CEO CFO or similar)||✔|
|3.8||Different length versions included in the image film briefing?||✔|
|3.9||Number of language versions?||✔|
|3.10||Existing graphic elements? (logo etc.)||✔|
|3.11||film formats defined?||✔|
|3.11||video formats defined?||✔|
|4.1||Indication of the date of award of the contract?||✔|
|4.2||Production period specified in the briefing image film?||✔|
|4.3||Completion date/first deployment date?||✔|
|6.1||To Do’s defined? (“What is urgently expected”)||✔|
|6.2||Don’ts defined? (“Which must not happen under any circumstances”)||✔|
Checklist for companies and organisations: Briefing Image Film
B. Checklist for contents: Creative Briefing Image Film
Part B of the film checklist for the perfect creative briefing for an image film concerns the content. The sample list presented here is based on the assumption that the content has yet to be developed and that film creation is part of the production partner’s task.
|No.||Answers that must be included in the briefing for a corporate video|
|1||What is the core message of the planned film or video? (main message)||✔|
|2||Which persons must necessarily appear in the film (e.g.: CEO or similar)||✔|
|3||Which film locations have to be integrated into the image film (e.g.: production sites)||✔|
|4||Who is the target audience? (“All” as an answer is forbidden!)||✔|
|5||What must not be the subject of the film under any circumstances?||✔|
|6||In any case, what is the theme of the film?||✔|
|7||Which events are necessarily an issue?||✔|
|8||What further information (Brand Manual, etc.) is available||✔|
Checklist for clients: Briefing image film
C. Checklist for the evaluation of a video production
Part C of the film checklist “Briefing Image Film” serves to determine and select the best possible production partner.
|No.||Test points (keywords for most important topics)|
|1||Evaluation of the list of reference customers? (possibly with Tel-Check)||✔|
|2||How did the production partner solve comparable tasks?||✔|
|3||Proven expertise ensured?||✔|
|4||How much experience is available?||✔|
|5||Talent recognizable? (not only artistic, also for project management)||✔|
|6||How many other customers does the production company have?||✔|
|7||Quality of the showreel?||✔|
|8||How strongly does the production company respond to the wishes of the client?||✔|
|9||Value for money?||✔|
|10||Chemistry and personal contact||✔|
Checklist for companies and organisations
- The article How long does a video have to be on the question of video length, which from Filmpulse’ point of view is only a reference value in an image film briefing. further information in detail.
- The Filmpuls article Checklist for filming contains a further 55 check points for the production of film and video.
- Further information on the briefing image film and content can be found at Filmpulse in the form of checklists in the following articles 15 points, which every good film concept must contain and Recognize and optimize good storytelling with the CSI checklist the series on CEO videos and the article on the importance of YouTube web video thumbnails for high click rates.
- Also interesting for companies: Checklist for casting extras and actors for film and television
The checklists listed are an exclusive compilation of documents from the Filmpulse training workshop “The right briefing for an image film – made easy”. The lists do not claim to be generally applicable. Depending on the size, type and complexity of the planned film or video project, individual additions and adjustments are recommended.
This article was automatically translated into English using AI. If you would like to help us improve the quality, we would be happy to hear from you.