Want to make sure the quality of your presentation isn’t dependent on your form on the day? Or are you one of those people who doesn’t like to speak in front of other people? Do you have a target audience that can’t be fully present? Then you should create a movie presentation! Here you will find instructions on how to do it.
You can create a movie presentation on your desktop or laptop. If you work in an office – or home office – and for a company, you almost certainly already have the necessary software installed on your computer. So you don’t even need any special software to create a movie presentation. With our step-by-step guide, you’ll be able to make a professional recording on video with little effort.
You have to know that
- You can create a movie presentation with Office software like PowerPoint (included in Office 365) or Keynote (macOS).
- Basically, you have two decisions to make before you turn your slide set into a video.
- When converting a slide presentation into moving images, the file size of large slide sets (guideline: 30 slides or more) must be compared with the planned type of distribution for feasibility.
Create a presentation using moving images
To begin with, we need to make sure that we and you mean the same thing by create movie presentation. Namely, recording a presentation BEFORE the actual talk. So this is very deliberately not about recording your performance at a business meeting, university or any other event.
By creating a movie presentation, we mean here the previous recording of your performance. The idea behind it: You press the start button on your computer at a meeting and from then on you sit back, relax and enjoy your presentation as playback with the others present.
The term video is at the same time broadly defined in this article: namely, as a moving image. Whether it’s animation, screen recording, or film, in the end you and your audience usually care less about the technical processes in the background than the content of your pre-recorded presentation.
How do you classically create a video? Usually by downloading a free video editing program onto your computer, then creating video, image content and text (possibly with graphics editing software), combining the individual elements in the edit, editing the sound, and and and …. – quite a lot of work, you’ll say. You’re right about that.
The good news is: You can create movie presentations much easier, and without problems in highest quality with your office program!
Even though operating systems are always evolving, there is still a difference between Windows and Apple. Depending on which of these worlds you’re in, we recommend different programs for creating a movie presentation. For Apple this is Keynote, for Windows with advantage PowerPoint.
Basically, regardless of the type of software you use, you always have two options for creating a cinematic presentation:
- The viewer sees and hears you using the video to explain or comment on the presentation in words and pictures (picture-in-picture).
- You create a video from your slide set that is annotated only by your voice.
Helpful to know: When you open a PowerPoint presentation on an Apple device, it’s automatically converted to Keynote. Similarly, on Mac OS, you can use the “export” command to convert your Keynote document to PowerPoint.
Create a movie with PowerPoint (Windows)
For Windows, you access PowerPoint. In Microsoft 365, the software comes as standard. Even if the majority of users don’t know it: with it you can create animations in MP4 / H.264 video format and record sound as well as video. Even if it is often still claimed on the Internet in this context in outdated recommendations: You don’t need any additional programs like Camtasia or the Movavi Screen Recorder.
At the same time, if you wish, you can also record the screen while creating your movie presentation. This makes sense, for example, if you also want to show other programs or elements to your audience.
PowerPoint is of course also available for Apple systems. But there the system allows only audio for the time being. So with that, you can comment on the movie presentation, but not appear in the picture yourself at the same time via webcam.
Creating a movie with Keynote (Apple)
MacOS users have the advantage of using PowerPoint’s competitor program from Apple: Keynote. Here you will find the functions for recording video and audio in the integrated application “Photo Both”. You then insert these into your presentation. So there are two steps to take:
- First, create the video per slide or your audio commentary.
- Second to integrate the video recording into the slide presentation.
If the audio is not recorded, make sure that the microphone of your choice is allowed access to Keynote (or PowerPoint) in the Privacy setting.
If you want to shorten the individual videos in advance for insertion into the slide set, you can do this on Apple with QuickTime Player. Here you will find the option “Shorten”.
2Creating a Presentation: Recording Guide
You can embed your audio and video recordings directly into the slides in PowerPoint. This is per slide. Click on the “Record slide show” section under “Slide show”. This will activate your webcam. You can end the recording mode by clicking on the small “cross” in the top right corner of the program bar.
Please note: Next to the symbol for audio (loudspeaker) you will find the same symbol further to the left with the note “delete”. By doing so, the warning label says so, you will irrevocably lose your recording.
You can update your recording per slide at any time. The recordings of your webcam will be displayed in a small window.
3Instruction, Tips and Tricks
For a professional effect of your screen recording please consider the following tips and tricks:
- Image and sound are added on a per-slide basis when creating a movie presentation. So if you want to change a recording, you only have to re-record the slide(s) concerned. Also, you can rearrange the order of the slides after recording without having to re-record anything.
- PowerPoint records the video and audio tracks for each slide. This means: You are not allowed to speak during the transitions. You will achieve the best effect if you take a short break before and after changing to the next slide. This way you not only help the technique, but also appear calmer and therefore more competent.
- Before you prepare your entire presentation as a video: do a test run. This with one or two foils. In the process, you will be able to learn and optimize everything (image and sound quality, image cropping, speech tempo) that will later contribute to the quality. When recording later, you don’t want to focus on the technology and features, you want to focus on the content.
- If you use PowerPoint in online mode (web) or SharePoint, it is not possible to add video or audio, switch to the desktop version.
- The size of the video window can be adjusted and changed in the edit view.
Additional, important comments and recommendations
- Built-in cameras and microphones are enough for first experiences in creating film presentations. However, if you want a more professional video image, we advise you to use an external webcam and / or an external microphone.
- If you’re sending out your video and want to give it a professional look, or sharing your video file on the web: remember to use a MP4 Tags Editor to create file image and metadata as well.
- Here are tips on making the perfect video statement and video interview.
- Even with a video presentation, the basic rules about writing comments and off-voice apply.
Do you have any additional tips and tricks? Share them with us in the comments section of this article on how to create a movie presentation!
4Create movie presentation: Export / Playout Video Format
Once the content of the movie presentation has been created and you are satisfied with the animated slide including video and sound, go to the “Create video” section in the program bar, where you can also save the slide. Then you choose the quality. This ranges from Ultra HD (4K) to the low resolution of 852 × 480 pixels (lowest resolution).
Once you have made these settings, the software will export your video automatically.
5Advantages of a pre-created film presentation
Preparing a presentation as a film has a number of advantages. These usually exceed the effort involved in creating a video presentation.
- You can make your presentation available as a film in identical form to a large number of people. Among other things, this also allows you to expand your target audience and thus ensures increased awareness and attention for your person or the topic of the presentation.
- This at any time and without having to ensure your own physical availability (as with a personal presentation).
- The creation is simple and succeeds even with little practice and without complex software for video editing.
- Once created (and saved as the source document), you can easily add new content or adapt the movie presentation at any time.
As everywhere and always, the same applies to presentation videos: Practice makes perfect. And likewise: in brevity lies the spice.
6Disadvantages of a presentation recorded on video
When converting a slide presentation with rich media into a video presentation, the live character is naturally always missing. For events or functions where the spark needs to be transferred from the presenter to the audience on an interpersonal level, this can be a good reason to avoid the video format! However, you should refrain from converting a PowerPoint or Keynote presentation even if …
- … the contents are already presented so clearly and unambiguously that they need neither a presenter nor explanations or comments (but then you should also ask yourself why you don’t distribute your text as a Word document…)
- … you cannot convince yourself either as a speaker or as a presenter in a recording.
- … Questions, interjections, comments from the audience and your answers as well as spontaneous interactivity are an essential part of your presentation. If this is the case, a video recording of a real event with an audience is more promising.
Input and output cannot be sharply separated even when creating a film presentation. If your topic does not focus on your target group, if methodology and didactics are not convincing, you better channel your energy again on the content before you prepare it as a video.
This article was automatically translated into English using AI. If you would like to help us improve the quality, we would be happy to hear from you.